Enterprise Rent A Car - Enterprise Rent-a-Car Damage Scam

Apparently, I am only one of many who have been targeted by this scam, and something needs to be done about it. Here are the details:

On June 14, 2011, I had an appointment for my car to be serviced at Metro Volkswagen in Irving, Texas. They had promised a loaner vehicle, but due to a shortage of cars because of recent hailstorms, they arranged instead a rental vehicle from Enterprise Rent-a-Car.

At the Enterprise office (3910 W. Airport Freeway, Irving, Texas), the Enterprise counter agent, Joe, told me the only vehicle they had available for me was a pickup truck. They brought the truck around and Joe apologized for not having anything better but they were also short on inventory because of the recent hail activity in the area. In fact, this particular truck was from Houston, he said, and had quite a few hail dings, too.

We inspected the vehicle together and I noticed several hail dings all over the truck; Joe said"”at least twice"”that they weren't concerned about any dents that were smaller than the end of your thumb, and not to worry about the hail dings. He had been writing on a clipboard all this time, so I assumed he was noting the prior damage (but now looking at the contract, I suppose I assumed wrong as nothing is noted).

Around 5:00 p.m., I called Metro Volkswagen to check the status of my own vehicle and was told they would have to keep it overnight as they had not had a chance to look at it yet. Metro VW was sure I would be okay with that since they had arranged for me to have a vehicle to drive while mine was in the shop.

Since I was going out of town the next day with plans to be gone a week, I suggested that it was wasteful for me to keep a rental car parked in my garage for a week (since Metro VW was paying the bill), and asked if I could drive it to the airport the next morning and turn it in. My service writer agreed with the plan.

I dutifully turned the truck in at the DFW Airport early in the morning on June 15th. The woman who checked in the truck remarked on the hail ding on the hood; I said the guy who rented me the truck the day before said not to worry about that. She did a quick walk-around, and handed me back the contract, having made no notations of any damages.

When I returned from vacation, there was a letter from Enterprise which stated "our Damage Recovery Unit has received notification of damage or loss to the vehicle you rented." I called the phone number listed on the morning of June 23rd and spoke to Jenna. I asked what sort of damage was done, and she told me the front bumper was loose.

I told Jenna that I had only driven the truck approximately 100 miles in the 22 hours it was in my care, and that for the most part, it was parked in my garage. There was no way I had damaged the front bumper of the truck, I told her, and she said she would refer it to the Damage Recovery Unit for investigation.

I contacted my insurance company to alert them to this potential bogus claim by Enterprise Rent-a-Car, and asked them to contact me if Enterprise tried to file a claim against my policy.

On Friday, August 12th, I received a second letter from Enterprise stating that "Our review indicates that you are responsible for the damages to our vehicle. Enclosed please find documentation to support our claim." Included with the letter was an invoice in the amount of $1,012.28 for damages, administrative fees, loss of use and diminishment of value. They sent a form requesting either my insurance information or my credit card information for payment.

Also included with the letter was a copy of the estimate which I have carefully reviewed. I found it curious that on June 23rd, Jenna had told me the front bumper was loose, but the estimate is for replacing the hood and repairing the grille.

I also noticed another serious discrepancy . . . the VIN on my contract for the truck I drove is KMHCN4AC0BU615718 but the VIN listed on the estimate for the damaged truck is 1D7CE3GK2AS179421.

Contemplating what my next step should be, I went to the Internet and Googled "Enterprise rental car damage scam." I was not surprised to find pages and pages of complaints from people from all over the United States with stories similar to mine.

In fact, my husband has been victimized by this same scam in the past. In 2004 or thereabouts, another driver hit his company vehicle so their insurance company was responsible for paying for a rental vehicle for him while his SUV was being repaired. He requires a vehicle the size of a SUV for his work but the other driver's insurance company (Progressive) reneged on paying the cost for an SUV and only paid Enterprise Rent-a-Car for the cost of a smaller vehicle. Enterprise was persistent in billing us for the difference (which we never paid), and has subsequently has placed my husband's name on a "Do Not Rent" list.

As I stated in my opening paragraph, this scandalous practice by Enterprise Rent-a-Car is a shakedown of innocent people that comes very close, in my opinion, to insurance fraud. I'm sure Enterprise collects on several of these bogus claims because it is less expensive and certainly less time consuming to simply pay (or turn it over to the insurance company and let them pay) and move on. In the business, it's called a "nuisance claim." But it's fraudulent practices like this that drive up the cost of insurance for all of us and I think it is our duty as consumers to take a stand and do what we can to stop questionable practices such as this.

I am willing to become part of a class action suit and/or do whatever is needed to fix this problem.

I have no intention of paying for damages ($1,012) that I did not cause. I have sent a copy of the above letter to the Texas State Attorney General, the Texas Department of Insurance Consumer Protection Division, the Federal Trade Commission, the Better Business Bureaus in Fort Worth and Dallas, my insurance company (AMICA), my three major credit card companies (Capital One, CitiCard and American Express), the consumer advocates at all four major network television stations in my metro area (CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox) plus the two major newspapers (Dallas Morning News and Fort Worth Star-Telegram) and the service manager at Metro Volkswagen since they were responsible for paying for the rental car.

This fraudulent activity on the part of businesses has GOT to stop. PLEASE contact me if there is some chance I can help end this practice. We as consumers must learn to stand up on our hind legs and FIGHT BACK. In the infamous words of Howard Beale ("Network") . . . "I'm as mad as *** and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

More Review Details

Helpful? 111 Yes 111 46 No 46
Had the same issue 48 Yes 48
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

1 day ago #1068216 Denver, Colorado

I'm in on a class action lawsuit as well.
I just got an Email from the Enterprise that the car I rented from them has a 20" scratch on it. I picked up the car in the evening and this location has a very dark parking lot. I did not see any scratches on the car when I picked it up and I did not scratch it when I had it. I returned the car early a.m., the office opened up at 9 a.m. but I was there at about 8:30 a.m I asked the two girls working there if they could check me in but they said they were not open yet and everything would be ok. Just drop it off they said, which I did, only to get an email a few hours later that my credit card deposit was being held until the damage recovery dept. looked it over. What do I do? I didn't scratch the car? I've been a Enterprise customer for over 10 years with no problems at all like this.

1 day ago #1068387

Fight them. Put them on blast thru social media. It's Fraud. Enterprise are Crooks.

1 day ago #1068213 Denver, Colorado

Aug 30 #1027419

I'm dealing with this *** right now . I rented a car from a place I rent maybe 5 times a year . It was a car that was already scratched up . I mentioned it to him during a check up before leaving . He said it's already marked down . I went off . Have witnesses as to how it looked also . I return it . 8 days later I get a letter from damage w.e . I'll see how this turns out .

3 0 Reply

Jul 25 #1011933

Exact same scam taking place at the Hudson, NY location. Assistant manager claimed there was hailstorm damage. Only problem with this claim is that there has been absolutely no hailstorm.

Jul 08 #1004984

This same thing happened to me and I have written a review. You are so right, we have got to stop this scam before many others face the same problem. Like you I did not look at the contract because I trusted them to do what was right. Unlike you I left my contract in the glove compartment and they would not let me have it back. I have no doubt that the agent made the small scratch he said did not come under wear and tear and he certainly had to have made the major scrape on the back since it was never there and never pointed out at any time. Just would like to know if they ever made things right for you.

Jul 03 #1003207 Venice, Florida

Apparently this is a typical Enterprise practice. I was told a similar "there's damage" story by one of their representatives in Boulder, Co. We were late dropping off the vehicle by 15 minutes and the office was closed. I checked the car..just dirt, no damage but there was no one available at the office to inspect so we did a drop off.
The next morning I received a call from this office and the representative said, "there's a 10" long scratch on the rear bumper and this was not there when you rented the car." I wish I had taken photos when I dropped the car off. I denied any damage - am absolutely sure there was nothing we did as the car remained parked in a safe area for most of the time. This representative then said, "well it's gonna be a few hundred dollars to fix this." I replied, "just follow your protocol because I know there was nothing wrong with the vehicle so if that happened it occured in YOUR lot after I dropped it off." I'm waiting to see what their follow up will be. Seems like their "protocol" is to prey on those customers who may be gullible.

Sep 11 #1032923

Exact same story happen to me two days ago and I cannot believe it.. THE EXACT SAME THING! RRRRRrrrrrrrrr....
I was so upset this past couple of days and this post from you guys its a bit of a relief, I'm sorry to see this happen to too many people, now I am one of them, You have another warrior for this cause. WE NEED TO STOP THEM SOMEHOW! How can I get in contact with most of you?

Oct 01 #1041918 Dallas, Texas

Same thing said the exact same words you did a 10inch long scratch on the same exact spot rear bumper left hand side that was not there when you rented the car..f no...i am so livid right now...i am not going to pay them a dime.

Jun 25 #999486 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Has anything become of this to date? I am going through the SAME thing right now. My frustration with this company is at a tipping point. I didn't realize until now that I am not alone. This has to end.

Jun 22 #998344

They did the same thing to me in Seattle Wa. 2015. Less that one inch cut on rear bumper. Not even sure it occured when i rented it. Coming after me fro 2000 buck. Wrote them that I was up to their scam.

Apr 10 #970533 Gainesville, Virginia

Had the same issue at the Gainesville Virginia office. Never ever will rent from Enterprise again. They are nothing but a scam. How people can work for them? I will never hire someone who has Enterprise on the resume.

Mar 21 #961682 Huntington Beach, California

I had the same issue in Huntington Beach CA here my story I rented a silver Hyundai Elantra and extended my contract and added a CDW for protection. I changed my mine and asked for waiver to removed they refused said you have pay for whole day I agreed. I went to work and third party driver left a small dent not size gold ball and few scuffs on rear bumper . A co worker snap photos and seen her leave damage with no insurance information. She snap her car where she hit me. I exchange the rental Matt branch mgr tells me I am responsible for damage my CDW isn't valid for only half the day. He falsied the incident report and says the rental blue not silver. He said I back into the third party driver when he wasn't at scene. I told him change incident report . He told they would investigate the matter I would be liable sign report to get exchange he would update report. I would have been stranded with no rental I come back in office with my other information report was bogus to look like I was responsible I refuse to sign the second copy . I get a letter damage recovery unit saying I owe 878.00 dollars brake lights etc. The photos look like a truck rammed Hyundai Elantra in their photos from body shop . I had witness snap third party driver and damage at time incident showed minor damage on driver side nothing passage side like body shop photos and photos were bogus because the third party driver bumper had no damage but minor scrapes. I CDW which cover scuffs minor dent not size... Show more

Bugs Bunny

Feb 28 #952044 Southampton, Pennsylvania

The show must go on, false damage claims is new modus operandi for enterprise in 2015. Any progress on the report itself? I just got similar experience in Longhorne, PA office.

Dec 15, 2014 #916297 Pottstown, Pennsylvania

I have almost the same exact story, except it wasn't hail damage but scratches and small bumper dents.
The sent me an invoice for over $1800 and I drove it for less than a day and the vehicle suffered absolutely no damage while in my possession.

Dec 02, 2014 #909854 Springfield, Missouri

I would participate as well. If no one else has one, I'd be willing to find a lawyer and start a class action suit. The way Enterprise has treated not only me, but all of you has sickened me. It is a scam to make innocent people foot the bill, and I am ready to take them to court.

Dec 15, 2014 #916301 Arlington, Texas

Let me know if you find a lawyer willing to take this on ... I still have all my documentation plus the ridiculous replies and justifications received from Enterprise. I'll be more than happy to participate in a class action.

Jul 24 #1011482

I would be willing to join as well. I am going through the same right now. Turned in a car and suddenly there is a scratch that was not there before and now they are saying it was dented and I owe $509 on top of the $50 they already took. The supervisor at the lot had said it was only a scratch that could be buffed out......now there is a dent really?? I took pictures before it was fixed to show no dent but they still are trying to get me to pay.

Dec 02, 2014 #909725 Arlington, Texas

There hasn't been any legal action taken against Enterprise in the form of a class action suit to my knowledge. If anyone knows an attorney who would like to take this on, I would be more than willing to participate.

3 0 Reply

Dec 02, 2014 #909643 Springfield, Missouri

Has anyone filed a class action lawsuit with Enterprise? The SAME exact thing happened to me in Missouri. I was told the only vehicle they had was a Truck. My car was being fixed, I had to go to work. I quickly did an inspection, and noticed the air conditioner wasn't working. They told me not to worry. They were having problems with it, but I could trade in for another car after I got off work. So I didn't think much of it, and I ran to work. After work, I came back and traded it in. A few months later I get a call from the collections department saying I damaged the Air Conditioner unit. I disputed the charges of $600. (This was in 2012). Today, I get a call from a collection agency saying that I am still responsible for the charges. In order to resolve this, I will have to file a suit. If anyone is interested, please comment below. This is a scam and it needs to known.

1-20 of 88 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Enterprise Rent A Car. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Enterprise Rent A Car.
Filing a new complaint about