This weekend I had the most awful car rental experience of my life. Enterprise Rent-a-car has lost my business forever. If I am stuck in the Sahara Desert at 2 p.m. in August and the closest business is 400 miles away and it is Enterprise, I will walk past without thinking about renting from them. Enterprise could send me a voucher for a free year of car rentals and I would proceed to shred the voucher immediately and then set the scanner on fire.

I reserved a pickup truck on May 7, 2013. They never called me to confirm the reservation. I had to call them to ensure there would be a truck available because I had no use for a car, it had to be a truck. They confirmed they had a big pickup truck that was being reserved for me and everything seemed fine.

Then it came time to pick up the truck. I took the streetcar to Enterprise and then proceeded to what should have been a very easy process. I got there at 8:30 and there was no one else in the building.

As I was checking out the truck it became evident this was going to be my most horrible experience in a very long time. First, they claimed I could not use a debit card (with Visa logo) to pay the fees and security deposit with a debit card. This despite the fact there was a big sign right next to my elbow that stated the $250.00 deposit for using a debit card instead of a credit card. I am a businessman that accepts credit cards. There is no difference between the two. I process transactions with a debit card as a credit card transaction all the time.

Luckily a friend was waiting outside and he had an actual credit card that was satisfactory to the Lords of Enterprise. It then became evident why they wanted a credit card. I now had to pay an additional $10.00 per day to list my friend as an additional driver even though we did not want to list him as a driver. It had to be listed as an additional driver even though I was only renting the vehicle for one day and I was the only person who would be using the vehicle. They then demanded a $250.00 security deposit - the one that applies to the debit card which is not really usable as a credit card. This was only a hold on his credit card and he would not be charged until the vehicle was returned. All was supposed to be fine. In fact, once I returned my vehicle, my debit card would have magically transformed into a real credit card and I would be able to pay for the rental with my debit card and release any payment hold on my friend's debit card. Awesome!

It literally took 30 minutes to complete a transaction that should have taken 5 minutes.

Then it was time to drive to Abbeville to pick up some grass fed cow for me and a bunch of friends. The drive there was perfect and the farm was beautiful.

As I started the drive back to New Orleans, I realized I would not be there before 4 p.m. They close at 4 p.m. so I called at about 1 p.m. to see whether anyone would be willing to stay until 4:30 to let me return the vehicle. I suspected I would be there at 4:10 but I did not want to make any promises. Enterprise simply refused because "what if you do not really show up." I was livid. Yes, they close at 4 p.m. and it is within their rights to refuse to stay open until 4:01 but it makes good business sense when someone indicates they will likely need to rent a pickup at least 2 times per year, you would think they might be a little accommodating and be willing to stay to get their truck back and if I was not there by 4:30 then it would just be my problem. It is evident why they did not want to wait because that meant more money because I would have to pay for an extra day because they are not open on Sunday!

I brought the vehicle back early on Monday morning (5/20/2013). Again, what should have taken 5 minutes again took 30. The employees at Enterprise knew I was going to Abbeville to pick up a cow so I suspect someone like me is hard to forget. As we were inspecting the vehicle, the employee stated in the most condescending tone imaginable "This truck is not going to smell like dead cow is it?" I know what condescending is as I think I am a little bit of an expert on the issue. He was not joking or bein awkwardly cordial. I think he actually thought I was *** enough to put 10 ice chest full of cow meat in the cab. I was in no mood to be treated like that so I said nothing before things really escalated. However, I was ready to say something like "Yea, I rented a big truck so I could put 500 pounds of dead cow meat in the cab with me." Actually I should have said that.

Sure enough what should have cost me $80 ended up costing me $202.00 after the extra fees for the "Extra driver," for the extra day when they refused to wait at the most 30 minutes, etc.

I hope you guys enjoyed that $202.00. You are never getting another nickel from me.

Review about: Enterprise Rent A Car Truck Rental.

Had an Experience with Enterprise Rent A Car?

Comments

You sir are an absolute ***.

Belle Meade, Tennessee, United States #655417

You are what's wrong with this country.You claim to be a businessman but you claim there is no difference between a credit card and a debit card.

Clearly you have no idea how the banking system in the U.S. works. A debit card has no line of credit nor does it prove you have any substantial lending credit. A debit card us a check card.

Sure you can run it as a credit at subway or some other retail shop but renting a car is not the same. You are borrowing a highly liquid asset and not having a credit card says you either are a terrible person to lend things to or you have no measurable lending history. Don't blame Enterprise for your ignorance.

You are a small brained plebeian.Go to hertz ***.

EnterpriseCares

Review #: 410638

We’ve taken note of your concern and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to care@enterprise.com including the exact rental location information, your contact information, your rental agreement and any further information regarding your experience with us.

When emailing, please list Reference Number 130521-002655 in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.

Respectfully,